Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thing 34 Is This Our Competition--Online Answer Sites

I loved this quote:
"Web 2.0 is good not because it makes the library more
like the Web, but because it is making the Web more like the
library. By my calculation, we are on Library 4.0 (see sidebar
on this page), so the Web has a way to go to equal the
services of the library. However, libraries have been around
for millennia, and the Web for fifteen years, so it will catch
up quickly." That Thing You Do (from RUSQ)

The link to David Lee King did not work.

Appeal of online answer sites is the ability to be annonymous to a large extent. ALso you can ask the questions 24/7. I've looked at sites and tried a few out over the years. Questions range. I do agree with the statement that you get what you pay for in some cases.

Some people don't like libraries. Some people are more comfortable with computers.

Looked at the Slam Boards. No, I did not participate. If that's what you're into go for it. I get enough questions at the refernce desk to keep me busy.

No I did not answer questions on the boards. See above on Slam Boards.

No comments: