Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thing 43 Online TV and Video

Ok, Joost tends to freeze my computer. I looked at it and Hulu. I decided to try tv shows I like to watch. Hmm. No joy. I tried searching a couple shows. They were not on there. I tried searching some present shows and few were on there in full. To be honest a video recorder or a dvd set works a whole lot better for me than this.

On my home system, I have dsl not cable ( I can't afford cable). My sound is crap and the speakers are turned off. The amount of bandwidth video eats is incrediable. Our library does not have unlimited band width either.

At this point with the costs involved with this I do not see it in my near future, so it will not change my viewing habits at this time. I dropped cable after figuring out that I was spending over $500 a year to watch a couple sci-fi shows and the rest was free regular channels. I buy the dvd sets or get them of the library of the few shows I like that I can't get on broadcast tv. Will online tv and video, impact broadcasting? Yes. Sooner or later, they will figure out how to make a buck on it somehow I'm sure. Just think, while tv is free - they get you with commercials, pbs free- pledge week will drive you nuts, cable - you pay through the nose for it.

At this time it will not impact my family. My son is 2. His idea of high excitement is "Wheel of Fortune". He tends to watch for a maximum of 30 minutes maybe. He'd rather be playing which is fine with me.

No comments: